Wednesday, April 25, 2012

House of Night

Well, I didn't exactly read just one book for my first in my 2012 Reading Challenge, instead I read four! One of my friends in America had the books and figured they'd be fun for me to read so she posted them to me! Now I have the pleasure of posting them back!

Following in the vein of the Twilight books, these books are all about vampires. Teenage vampires. Angst! I admit they are also really aimed at the teenage market, but for light entertainment, they do the job.

Zoey Redbird is a fledgling vampire. In these books, it can take 3-4 years to turn into a vampire, but during this process they must reside at the House of Night otherwise they will die. Here they learn all about becoming a vampire and the history surrounding them, the many rituals they undertake and that not everyone succeeds in making the change. All the while, they have the delight of teenage hormones, angst and deadly villains to deal with. A piece of cake!

Like I said, these aren't exactly a challenging read, but they are entertaining. There are currently 10 books in the series and a Fledgling Handbook. I whizzed through the books in no time and definitely recommend them as good books to read when sick or on a long journey. The time will fly!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Why? I have to confess these books (for adults) are mainly drivel, but like I said, they are very entertaining and are certainly a decent way to pass the time. You can't help but get drawn into them and I may still yet attempt to read the remaining books. The authors (a mother-daughter team) have tried to weave in some lessons for teenagers in a cool, more likely to accept from a book than your mother kind of way. The best way to describe these books? Fun. Simple as.

1 comment:

Book Bug said...

Wow!! Thank you so much!! This is amazing!
I've been wondering lately if anyone has actually been reading my blog, so this has been a great encourgement!
Thank you!